Cuban Coffee 101: Everything to know about ordering coffee in MiamiApril 27, 2018
Miami runs on coffee — but don’t come here looking for that tall, non-fat latte with a caramel drizzle. Cuban coffee is the center of our universe.
Don’t call it an espresso, either. Whipping spoonfuls of sugar into those first few of drops of freshly brewed café forms the syrupy goodness that makes café cubano the original Red Bull. It’s hot, sweet — and strong.
If you’re new to Miami or here on vacation, you may have already discovered our devotion to “ventanitas,” the ubiquitous walk-up windows where a coffee queen will whip up a cup of jet fuel while calling you cariño or mi amor.
There’s a right way to order coffee in Miami that won’t earn you a strange look. Locals know there are only four acceptable coffee drinks to order at the ventanita:
- Cafe con Leche
Some of our favorite Ventanitas:
- Amelia’s 1931, 13695 SW 26th St., Miami, 305-554-4949
- Cacique’s Corner, 100 W. Flagler St., Miami (downtown), 305-371-8317
- Chicos, 4070 W. 12th Ave., Hialeah, 305-556-8907
- David’s Café, 919 Alton Rd., South Beach, 305-534-8736
- El Pub, 1548 SW 8th St., Miami (Little Havana), 305-642-9942
- Enriqueta’s, 2830 NE 2nd Ave., Miami (Wynwood), 305-573-4681
- Islas Canarias, 13695 SW 26th St, Miami, 305-559-6666
- La Carreta, nine locations throughout Miami-Dade County, including a sublime one on Key Biscayne, 12 Crandon Blvd., 305-365-1177, and a convenient stop at Miami International Airport, 305-871-3003
- La Fragua, 7931 NW 2nd St., Miami, 305-266-3226
- La Minuta, 14615 W. Dixie Hwy., North Miami, 305-949-2471
- Los Pinareños Fruteria, 1334 SW 8th St., Miami (Little Havana), 305-285-1135
- Latin American Bakery & Cafe, 9608 SW 72nd St., Miami (West Miami-Dade County), 305-279-4353
- Latin Café 2000, 875 NW 42nd Ave., Miami, 305-642-4700
- Manolo and Rene Grill, 188 NE 3rd Ave., Miami (downtown, new location)
- Molina’s, 4090 E. 8th Ave., Hialeah, 305-693-0806
- Tinta y Café, 1315 Ponce De Leon Blvd, Coral Gables, 305-285-0101
- Versailles, 3555 SW 8th St., Miami (Little Havana), 305-444-0240